Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Important Music Cultral Movement EVER
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 01:17 AM   #30 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unfan View Post
...and gospel. That wasn't the point. Most rock bands were, and probably most blues artists were heavily inspired by romanticism and European folk.
Ummm...nope. European rock artists may have been influenced by European folk (The Stones and Led Zeppelin come to mind), but there weren't too many bluesmen living outside of the States prior to 1960. And no, they weren't influenced in the slightest by European folk. The blues were (forgive my generalization) entirely African in origin. The closest ancestor to the blues were old slave spirituals and call-and-response music; in short, the blues were African folk songs. Not European.

But I won't deny the influence of gospel. Aretha Franklin, Sam Cooke, Mahalia Jackson and Jackie Wilson are excellent examples of gospel and soul artists, and they in part influenced motown artists of the '60s. But not much (or any of it) led to the creation of rock n' roll (though I will admit its influence upon current RnB artists is astounding).

If you want to bring classical music into the argument, it becomes a very, VERY different discussion. I was referring to an era and its influence on modern music. Classical eras spanned hundreds of years and were as diverse as music is today. I have neither the knowledge nor the willpower to argue about the many phases and genres of classical music. So cut the defensive bullshit. I wasn't attacking Europe or its contributions to modern music, so stop act like I put a fucking "insignificant" brand on it.