Music Banter - View Single Post - The Definitve List: Most Overrated Bands\Artists ever
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008, 11:35 AM   #223 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

I really cannot believe I am doing this but i'll try one last time.

Let's revist my first post here shall we?

You said
Quote:
art pop is a term I confabulated out of my proverbial cobwebs on the spot. It's a term that for me describes more so an effect the artist/band has socially that constitutes a resulting clique mentality.
And I replied
Quote:
In what way?

Any band could claim to have what could be considered 'a clique mentality' That's why you buy t shirts and sing along at gigs.

A band's image? it's message? it's politics? it's fashion? all of them? none of them?

You're being far to vague on this.
LOOK !!! A QUESTION MARK !!! In fact lots of them. I think the question I am asking here is pretty clear. But to simplify it i'll ask again anyway.
In what way do you consider a band to have 'a clique mentality'. What makes one band have them and another not? What are your defining factors in judging if a band has 'a clique mentality' or not.

Then you said

Quote:
It's a phenomenon that attaches and best lends itself to a commercial popularity drawn form a pseudo intellectual underground which is in reality neither.
To which I replied

Quote:
You could have just written 'commercial' and saved yourself some time here , assuming that's what is you meant. If it isn't then perhaps you can clarify this as well.
Now it's not a direct question but it clearly states that I am assuming you just mean a commercial band and asked you to state if this was the case or not.

See there's no hidden agenda here that you need to be a rocket scientist to figure out.

And finally you stated

Quote:
I believe in identifying responsibility rather than the premise. The measure of anything is best taken from result rather than appearance.
And I replied

Quote:
Pardon ?

Sorry but in this context this means absolutely nothing unless you are prepared to explain it.
Thus meaning that without you explaining what you mean here I have no idea of what you are talking about with the rest of the post I quoted hence my usage of the words 'In this context'. Not the sentence , the entire post. But if you'd like to break it down further I would ask how would you go about 'identifying responsibility rather than the premise' in practice. Give me examples of ways you have indeed 'identified responsibility rather than the premise'.
Explain your criteria of judging responsibility and premise. Hell even a hint would be nice because as I said at the moment it just looks to me like something out of Pseuds Corner.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote