Music Banter - View Single Post - An Infinite Number Of Things That Pisses Me Off About Music
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2008, 02:05 PM   #108 (permalink)
Minstrel
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
Early Green Day and The Offspring weren't bad at all. Dookie and Smash were iconic albums and deserved respect in their own right.
I think Dookie is very overrated, but I agree that those two bands weren't bad. I simply said they were much worse than the '70s groups I mentioned, which they definitely were in my opinion.

Also, on a separate note, I don't really consider Green Day punk. In fact, they're almost the antithesis of punk. Punk, in my opinion, is about angst (not necessarily anger) and energy. Green Day wasn't at all angsty, they were about middle class, suburban ennui. In my opinion, Green Day kicked off the "adult alternative" movement...bands like the Gin Blossoms, Del Amitri, Toad The Wet Sprocket, etc. Blink 182, Yellow Card and Good Charlotte fit right into that, even though they're called "pop-punk."

But I recognize that everyone has a different idea of what "punk" is...the most fruitless arguments tend to be arguing over a definition of it.
Minstrel is offline   Reply With Quote