Music Banter - View Single Post - An Infinite Number Of Things That Pisses Me Off About Music
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2008, 07:09 PM   #148 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

86 : FOOTBALL SONGS

England 1970 World Cup Squad - Back Home
The Fall - Kicker Conspiracy
EnglandNewOrder - World In Motion
Grandad Roberts And His Son Elvis - Meat Pie , Sausage Roll
The Fall - Theme From Sparta FC
Any Half Man Half Biscuit Songs

OK those are the exception to the rule and are actually quite good. The rest I will be happy if I never ever hear again in my life. Anfield Rap , The Manchester Utd squad & Status Quo , Vinda****ingloo , Chas & Dave (Who are actually Crystal Palace fans not Spurs fans), all of them.

It used to be so different , way back when you used to get maybe one song a year for a cup final , maybe another one for a world cup where you'd see loads of footballers in track suits looking uncomfortable on Top Of The Pops having a jolly sing song , the song would scrape into the top 30 then sink back into obscurity just as fast as England got knocked out , and that was it. But then Sky poured their money into the Premier League and so all these plastic celebs come along declaring their life long love of football and what better way to express that passion by making some shitty record convincing the world that ING-URR-LAND are going to win whichever tournament they're taking part in.
Everytime some tournament comes along we're bombarded with these awful novelty records. Who in their right mind wants to hear Ron Atkinson or Terry Venebles crooning swing songs. I mean do you really want to hear a fine band like Echo & The Bunnymen collaborating with the Spice Girls? It happened alright ... for 1998 world cup in an abomination called How Does It Feel (To Be On Top Of The World) as if any England fan knows how that feels. Complete with cheesy video with David Beckham & Victoria lovingly gazing at each other.
It's not just the football songs themselves it's the songs picked up and sung by the terraces. I mean being surrounded in a crowd of people singing Hey Baby by DJ Otzi is enough to make anybody turn to football hooliganism.

Anyway to finish this rant I leave you with quite possibly the biggest abomination of this type ever.

Enjoy

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote