Music Banter - View Single Post - Rock/Metal/Prog Education Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2008, 09:52 AM   #46 (permalink)
ddp
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyCal View Post
That's what i was trying to get at with one of my previous posts ~ there must be some sort of quantitative measure for each genre, but i've got to tell you that i'm lost after the "This" contains high-pitched screaming and "That" contains some high-pitched screaming, but mostly and/or basically utilizes low-pitched screams. Huh? For me, the instant the music hurts my earballs ~ and mindless screaming would certainly fall into that category ~ it's Sayonara, Screetchers.

What if someone like me decides to invent yet another sub-category and call it UltraSonic Rock? How can you tell if it's UltraSonic Rock? YOU can't hear it, but all the animals within a 1 mile radius are going crazy. Then, i can start sub-sub-ing, as it were, my sub-genre, by adding, what else, SUBsonic notes.

Okay, yeah, i'm crazy, but that's about how i see most of the sub-genres. In almost any categorization system, you have to start eventually bunching stuff together, otherwise you end up with each and every whatever being its own unique thing, at which point, titles of tracks and band names would be useless.

(HEY! i heard that muttered 'Wendy, you ignorant slut!')
Very funny, nice stuff.

I never the stuff with just screaming too. Ya gotta have singing.
Most good metal and prog does have a melody even if it is mixed below the rhythm guitars in the mix.
ddp is offline   Reply With Quote