Music Banter - View Single Post - An Infinite Number Of Things That Pisses Me Off About Music
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2008, 05:21 AM   #963 (permalink)
WaspStar
Back to mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombeels View Post
Actually for argument's sake, you might want to try using albums that most of us have heard of.

Maybe you should check them out; they're not obscure at all. Evergreen has one of the great Echo & The Bunnymen singles on it (Nothing Lasts Forever) and Time Out Of Mind seems to be a Bob Dylan album that even non Dylan fans appreciate. They're both far more "visible" (TOOM won three Grammys, not that that means anything) than most of the albums posted here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombeels View Post
Popular artists but not popular albums. I just finished looking at several lists of top albums of the 90's and neither of these albums made any list. Even on Rate Your Music they couldn't crack the top 300 of 1997. Now I know people may like albums personally better than OK Computer but to say any other album was better through an objective viewpoint is wrong.
Who gives a fuck about lists? If we went by lists, Sgt. Pepper would still be the greatest album ever (and Pet Sounds the second best).

And there is no such thing as objectively rating an album outside of sales, which are meaningless anyway. If we're going by how many people like an album, you should really be listening to the Eagles, Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley, Garth Brooks, etc. if you want to hear "objectively great" music.