Music Banter - View Single Post - An Infinite Number Of Things That Pisses Me Off About Music
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2008, 11:41 AM   #973 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

23 : People Who Buy Novelty / Charity / Talent Contest Records

The only time I have ever enjoyed a charity record is when Elton John released that version of Candle In The Wind when Diana croaked.
I didn't like the song , as if I would enjoy a load of sentimental garbage like that. The entertainment factor in all of this was watching middle aged women in tears kicking the shit out of each other in shops to buy about 50 copies each.
I've never understood the appeal of charity records , I don't need some turgid Irish boyband telling me to give money because they've decided to inflict some shitty Billy Joel cover on the world.
Novelty records are even worse. Shit records that are meant to be shit for the sake of being shit and making a profit. But there's a part of me that doesn't blame them for doing so. If people are dumb enough to want to buy a copy of Maureen from diving school singing (And I use the term loosely) I Like Driving In My Car or some slag from Big Brother making some cheesy euro disco record then fuck it ... take their money. They deserve to be skint for wasting it on shit like this. A woman I work with told me she bought the Crazy Frog record. When I asked her what possessed her to do so she simply replied 'Oh I like the original'.
As for talent show contest winners I see a lot of hate aimed at these people yet I don't understand why. These sorts of artists have been around for years. Talent shows have been a staple of TV since it started and most of these acts disappear after one or two singles anyway. I'd love to hate these people but they fuck off before I even know who they are. So no hatred for these people , just the cunts who think they need to own yet another Simon Cowell puppet doing Unchained Melody.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote