Music Banter - View Single Post - An Infinite Number Of Things That Pisses Me Off About Music
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 04:18 PM   #1149 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Their politics annoy me and I get where you are coming from with a polished sound but to be fair they sound exactly the same live and are a musically talented band.
To be fair, their albums have very few overdubs and are well produced. Not all rock music can be dirty or underproduced. On the other hand I could see that their whole ethos has a whiff of pre manufacture about it.

However some producers can elicit a 'clean' sound from energetic bands. Look at Slayer's 'Reign In Blood'. An absolute phenemonal album that we both love, but you cannot ignore the fact that the production from Rubin plays a huge part. It's great strength (it's economical precision if you will) is also at odds with the ethos of Thrash Metal at the time (D.I.Y Metal if you will). I am digressing but this is one of the reasons why I like RATM. They have an immensely 'clean' sound that is still powerful and raises them above many similar bands around at the time.
I told you i'd have trouble explaining what I meant

I was talking more about the music than the production although that was a small part of it.

I'm not saying I want those things in all albums , just in albums of this sort. I just think making clean sounding radio friendly big budget protest music contradicts itself. With metal it's different I think a metal band with good production does wonders because the music is the primary focus , not the message.

It feels like someone made a checklist to see what sort of things your average anti establishment 14 year old kid would like and put it into practice. To me they sound like a manufactured band , even if they are or not.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote