Music Banter - View Single Post - The Definitve List: Most Overrated Bands\Artists ever
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 05:55 PM   #268 (permalink)
Brad Stengel
This Space for Rent

Heres the thing, certain bands you mentioned, I agree, are overrated, yet some bands I hear about them being overrated more than I hear people build praise upon them.

Heres an example, you listed Nirvana (might I add I disagree entirely with your claims that they become another AIC or Soundgarden if Kurt didnt die. The difference is that Cobain not only was a FAR superior songwriter, but had a much more eclectic musical taste that showed through in his music, which I find often seperates him from those grunge bands that pandered to the classic rock Gods. Im not saying he was original, but at least when he ripped off bands they were somewhat underground and not as dated, as opposed to Soundgarden re-doing Black Sabbath with lamer riffs), back to the point, I hear more about Nirvana being overrated than people talking about how great they were. Almost every person I've met that likes indie hates them, same for punk, metal, new wave, etc. The only ones that do (besides me) are stupid high school kids that hate on rap and are too bored by classic rock, kids I don't even associate with. Yet if you ask me, they're a pretty good indie band that got put in the wrong place at the wrong time, which has severely tarnished what the true heart of the band is.

But what I mean is, everything that's "rated" is also considered "overrated", as long as theres just one person who doesn't hold a band/album in as high regards as another. So everything in the entire music industry since the dawn of time is both "overrated" and yet "underrated" at the same time.