Music Banter - View Single Post - An Infinite Number Of Things That Pisses Me Off About Music
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 05:46 PM   #1502 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

the 80s had a ton of great bands... that either started in the 70s or only came to prominence in the 90s. the bulk of what was readily available in the 80s was crap.

while it's great that the net has made it possible for a lot of overlooked bands from the 80s to gain attention it's not entirely accurate to judge the decade based on modern perceptions of the music industry. you had to do a hell of a lot more than just log onto a website to just learn about the existence of a specific underground band let alone actually hear their music back then. you might as well just forget about real underground music if you weren't living (or had a friend / relative) in a large city too.

a list that includes FALCO as a highlight of the 80s is obviously made by someone using an online database to look back at a decade they weren't part of. especially when they diss dexy's midnight runners in the same post, it's not that 'come on eileen' is the apex of songwriting but it's a hell of a lot better than 'rock me amadeus'.

as 'generic' as zombeels 60s list is, that's what was readily available to people in the 60s. you didn't have to dig AND get lucky to find much of it. unlike most of the 80s lists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote