Music Banter - View Single Post - An Infinite Number Of Things That Pisses Me Off About Music
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2008, 03:38 AM   #1509 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minstrel View Post
That seems like a non sequitur to me. It seems like you're addressing a completely different question. If the question is "How easy was it to find good current music during the 1980s?" then yes, the 1980s might lag behind other decades due to much of the best music being non-mainstream and no ability to use the Internet to discover music.

But, to me, that isn't the question at hand. The question at hand is "Did the '80s produce less good/great music than other decades?" In evaluating that question, it's perfectly reasonable to look back and apply modern understanding. Whether or not that music was readily available to most people at the time (some of it was, some of it wasn't), it was all produced then and is readily available to us today. As far as the '80s contribution to our current pool of music, there was a tremendous one.
fair. i'm just trying to show why there will always be people who roll their eyes at the 80s. yeah there was LOTS of good music out there, but most people didn't really get a chance to enjoy it until the late 90s. i guess it's the difference of remembering the 80s for what they were at the time vs. looking back at the 80s through what has become available.

i think the amount of contribution has a lot to do with the cyclical nature of pop culture though. people used to complain about how the 90s were bringing back the 70s, does it really seem odd that the next generation would bring back the 80s? the only reason i still have all my grunge discs is to pass them off to my niece when her generation inevitably brings back the 90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote