Music Banter - View Single Post - An Infinite Number Of Things That Pisses Me Off About Music
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2008, 04:11 PM   #1512 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post

I first started buying music in the mid 80s and I certainly don't remember it being hard to find good music. It's true people back then didn't have the internet resources we have now (which of course was also true in the 70s, 60s, 50s, etc., even the most of the 90s) but college radio was a big source of music exposure for me as was the fairly wide variety of music magazines at the time. If you wanted something you didn't see on the shelves of your local music store, you just ordered it. It wasn't that hard. And keep in mind that there were actually more little local music stores back then than there are now, since MP3s have pretty much killed that industry.
right. but, if you weren't in a relatively urban area (or on its outskirts) you wouldn't have access to that college station. can't order what you don't know exists, and it's not like columbia house carried every label out there.

the small stores were great but they also had to turn a profit so they couldn't really just fill their shelves with whatever they thought was good instead of what they knew would sell, again it depends on the area.

the 80s weren't a total wasteland but i'm sure you'll agree where you lived played a far more significant factor in what you were able to hear than it does now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote