Music Banter - View Single Post - An Infinite Number Of Things That Pisses Me Off About Music
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 12:02 AM   #1516 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
right. but, if you weren't in a relatively urban area (or on its outskirts) you wouldn't have access to that college station. can't order what you don't know exists, and it's not like columbia house carried every label out there.

the small stores were great but they also had to turn a profit so they couldn't really just fill their shelves with whatever they thought was good instead of what they knew would sell, again it depends on the area.
That's where ordering albums comes in. I didn't live in an urban area growing up, I lived in the suburbs, but I was still able to find good stuff. And even if you lived out in the sticks somewhere I'm sure you could find albums by the likes of the Pixies or Jane's Addiction or Talking Heads or Love and Rockets at the local mall.

Quote:
the 80s weren't a total wasteland but i'm sure you'll agree where you lived played a far more significant factor in what you were able to hear than it does now.
Let's keep in mind that the 80s are being contrasted here with Zombeels' 60s. Do you really think it was easier to find cool obscure stuff in the 60s than it was in the 80s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombeels View Post
Generic. I listed some really great artists from the 60's.
Like Cream? Are you kidding me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombeels View Post
Unlike the 80's you don't have to search for obscure or non mainstream acts to find good music from the 60's.
I would say it's about the same. The 60s had some good pop music: the Beach Boys, the Zombies, Dick Dale. The 80s had some good pop music: REM, New Order, the Smiths. But in both decades the best stuff flew in a bit under the radar.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote