Music Banter - View Single Post - An Infinite Number Of Things That Pisses Me Off About Music
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2008, 11:11 AM   #1549 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

104 - The Sugarbabes

The following entry is to demonstrate to people who insist on repeatedly leaving boring 'pop bands suck grrrrr'. type messages in this thread on how you slag off a corperate pop band properly.

Releasing 6 albums over the course of 10 years in the fickle world of manufactured pop bands should be something to be applauded , but instead The Sugarbabes find themselves in this list. Now why is that?

Well I'm no hater of pop music. i just think that all pop music should live by 2 rules.
Be catchy & be memorable, thats all it needs.

Say what you like about The Spice Girls , Take That , SClub7 , All Saints , Kylie Minogue , Britney Spears or Avril Lavigne. You might hate all of them but you cannot deny that the moment you hear one of their songs you know exactly who you are listening to and you could probably remember loads of their older songs as well.

Which brings us back to The Sugarbabes. They may have released 6 albums and dozens of singles over the past decade but I can't remember a single one of them. The only song I can remember by them is their latest one , the awful cover of that 'Here Comes The Girls' song. A cover of a song that was being used on an advert for Boots the chemist just a few months ago.

Yes thats right , The Sugarbabes take their musical inspiration from a chain store that sells tampons & odour eaters.

In fact I remember when they first started showing that advert thinking that some shitty pop band would cover it at some point. Fair play though , I would have bet my house that it would have been Girls Aloud who did it. But not even they would do something that tacky. The Sugarbabes have no such qualms.

But other than that I can't remember a single song by them. they're just your typical C list pop band who seem to survive by releasing forgettable pop songs that just sell enough to keep them going , then they change members and then do some saucy photoshoot for some lads mag to show they're back. Then they release more forgettable pop songs and the whole cycle goes around and around again.

The Sugarbabes are the tackiest of the tacky, the only thing worse in pop music is novelty songs & ballads released by Simon Cowell puppets. Other than that I place them right at the bottom of the music food chain. they're the type of pop artist you get when you stick 3 girls on a stage who's only exposure to music is miming to ABBA songs with a hairbrush in front of a mirror. In short it's the kind of shit The Sugarbabes churn out year after year that gives pop music a bad name.

Fuck Em , and all those like them.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote