Music Banter - View Single Post - Band Most Well Known Songs That Are Also Their Worst
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2008, 03:27 PM   #33 (permalink)
Seltzer
Fish in the percolator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaspStar View Post
But I don't think there are really many cases where the band's best known song is also its worst. Sure, we hate them because they're overplayed and medicore, but there are some REM songs worse than Everybody Hurts (not by much, but they are worse) and Smells Like Teen Spirit isn't quite as awful as some of the junk on Nevermind.

For that reason, I can't nominate Satisfaction or Rock The Casbah or Hey Jude or even Sounds Of Silence.
Mmm, I'd agree there - there are a fair few 'most popular songs' that are mediocre on the scale of things, but very few that are their worst.

Though I still think Rock the Casbah is one of the best Clash songs. I think a better candidate would be Should I Stay or Should I Go... I never understood everyone's fascination with that song when the majority of the songs on London Calling are better. Still, it's not a bad song and there's much worse in their discography too, mainly from that unmentionable 1985 album of theirs.

And I still think Sounds of Silence and the Boxer are some of the best S&G songs. Though I will say that they're sadly overlooked - I don't think many people realise just how good they were, and that they stretched far beyond their singles.