Music Banter - View Single Post - What is the size of your physical and digital music collection?
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 03:44 AM   #165 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

I like having a physical product, but for listening to music, CDs are not very good I think. I rip them and listen to them on the computer.

It bothers me that the music industry that deals in media etc. has been doing a ****ty job at staying on top of technology. I think CDs are nice to collect but utlimately impractical. They cost more money to make, you need people working with that. Then it costs money to transport them around .. at last, you need people to sell them in stores somehow. These things are not a problem if you sell music on MP3s or other file-formats. Making copies is free and distribution more or less takes care of itself once you have a working system up.

They should've been selling music files many, many years ago after they first appeared, I think. And they should sell them in such a way that it's easier (takes less effort) for you to get them legally than it does to pirate them.

edit :

I think this poll underestimates the sizes of some people's music collection. Also, as has been mentioned, it may be more useful to look at the total amount of songs or total playtime rather than filesize.