Music Banter - View Single Post - Of Montreal
Thread: Of Montreal
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 07:21 PM   #95 (permalink)
jedthehuminoid
Groupie

Yay for the best American band of our generation! Also lol @ the *** parade being censored in the OP.

Skeletal Lamping is by far my forerunner for album of the year, and one of the most exciting rock albums I've heard in a long time.

The transition between Aldhils and Skeletal Lamping in the band's sound is, in my opinion, one of the most impressive changes in artistic identity I've seen. They are just light years away from eachother in sound and in a way, content. Sure, it resulted in three albums that seemed rather...tame and safe (aldhils, satanic, sunlandic), but those albums were all important in order for Kevin to finally break free into this weird raunchy electronic guitar sex jam music during the second half of Hissing.

I always admired the earlier Of Montreal records (*** Parade is also my favorite) for their use of overly cute childlike subject matter as a mask for sad themes of every day life and love.

And I realized somewhere in the middle of Skeletal Lamping, that Kevin is actually kind of doing that now, starting with Hissing Fauna, only now it's using over the top sexuality to that same effect.

P.s. whoever that band that was opening for them this year in San Francisco was completely terrible. Really, really, terrible.

edit: actually, lol @ me for not realizing that *** parade auto censors

Last edited by jedthehuminoid; 12-10-2008 at 07:23 PM. Reason: I pwned myself in my second line.
jedthehuminoid is offline   Reply With Quote