Music Banter - View Single Post - Ashes to Ashes: A reintroduction to my personal music library
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 07:23 PM   #33 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

Default Doolittle

Album #9: Doolittle (1989)
The Pixies
Genre: Alternative Rock
Dedicated to MB Member: Big3…

1. "Debaser"
2. "Tame"
3. "Wave of Mutilation"
4. "I Bleed"
5. "Here Comes Your Man”
6. "Dead"
7. "Monkey Gone to Heaven"
8. "Mr. Grieves"
9. "Crackity Jones"
10. "La La Love You"
11. "No. 13 Baby"
12. "There Goes My Gun"
13. "Hey"
14. "Silver"
15. "Gouge Away"

Fuckin eh. This is one of those sort of misunderstood masterpieces, by the mainstream anyway I think. It has elements of the Kinks, VU, Beach Boys and is arguably better then, and in the mold of, a lot of the grunge music that popularized American radio shortly after its release. To further name drop; this eclectic collection of songs all wrapped up under one alternative umbrella, a constant lack of satisfaction reminds me a bit of London Calling. Still these guys are never mentioned in the same breath when the mainstream compiles lists of the greatest and most influential. I understand why, but this place has opened my eyes to just how easily overlooked great music and artists can be. This place finds time to listen to just about everything I could have imagined.

Opening with what is arguably the albums strongest track “Debaser” the energetic Doolittle roars out of the gates with a classic in the style that best features their talents. In fact the first five tracks are an amazing opening line-up. “Tame” is a sort of emo\grunge combination before either existed; with just a smidge of post-punk for good measure. It is savage and raw by design. “Wave of Mutilation” is another critically acclaimed tracked that lives up to its billing with a killer riff and soft penetrating vocals. Another element of appeal from this album is the quick 2-3 minute songs that keep the listener on their toes. “I Bleed” shows of two of albums best features; the common place duffy bass lines and the sort of Lou Reed version 2.0 evolution of singer Charles “Black Francis” Thompson. Running on the complete opposite end of the spectrum as Tame is “Here Comes Your Man” a sort of happy-go-lucky pop number. Hard not to enjoy this one; fun, friendly and free with interesting composition.

The final tow thirds of album are not as favorable in my opinion and maybe that’s part of the albums sort of lukewarm reception, still it’s not without an occasional highlight. Reggae fueled “Mr. Grieves” and the crazy bilingual “Crackity Jones” have very much their own sound and style and both are very good songs in their respective sub-genres. I also like “No. 13 Baby” which reminds me of Spinal Tap to be honest and “There goes my Gun” which has a sort of end of the earth feel to it; music from beyond if you know what I mean. Then there is “Hey” the longest song on the album with the shortest title. All in all it’s an album I am always reminded of how much I like and why I bought every listen. A keeper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
i prefer foreplay. the orgasm is overrated.
If you're posting in the music forums make sure to be thoughtful and expressive, if you're posting in the lounge ask yourself "is this something that adds to the conversation?" It's important to remember that a lot of people use each thread. You're probably not as funny or clever as you think, I know I'm not.

My Van Morrison Discography Thread
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote