Music Banter - View Single Post - The Crowe 100
Thread: The Crowe 100
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 08:57 PM   #73 (permalink)
Crowe
Music Addict

44. The Postal Service - Give Up (2003)
Who missed The Postal Service's Give Up when she was released? Who missed the tons and tons of people spawn who turned this so-so release into the mega-hit that it became? Now... liking this album automatically has some people lumping me into that group who called TPS "teh mostest or1iginal band of our timezz!" yeah well, I'm not one of those people. I am one of those people who grew up with this album being played at every turn. Hell, it's infectious! Forgetting the weird hype it inspired and sitting down and listening to the album - I mean, yeah... this is what I slow danced to at more than one high school dance. This is the laid back album that I used to put on to go to sleep to when I went to summer camp... this is the album that I played in my car when I was driving my high school girlfriend around that I could have at a low enough volume to talk. This is one of those albums that is on the list because of it's meaning in my personal history. But I'm not going to lie, I love the music on this album. It inspires that nostalgia that invokes images, smells, tastes and emotions that made up your formative years. In that sense, Give Up is something I treat myself to from time to time just for the feeling, you know?

Check out: Clark Gable, Such Great Heights, Nothing Better... and of course your high school year book/college diploma/scribbled on middle school binder.

43. Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense (1984)
Where did I first hear Talking Heads? Honestly, I don't remember. Perhaps it was some bad (read: awesome) 80s movie, I'm not really sure. What I do know is that this album absolutely hooked me into Talking Heads - and, why don't we face it, the two big tracks on this album that really grab you are Psycho Killer and Take Me to the River... oh well... and Burning Down the House, arguably their most well-known track... oh yeah, and what about... Slippery People? Holy hell, what an album! David Byrne sings "Psycho Killer, ques que sais! Fa fa fa fa fa fa ...." this is a fun album. This is a really fun album. I wish I had grown up during the 80s so they would have played this at those really awesome (read: bad) high school dances. Instead I was limited to the random play on the radio as a kid. I picked up the entire discography a few years ago, and while I enjoy the Heads' earlier works, I feel like this is the one that has really received more play time. Listen to this album if you wanna dance... have fun, throw it on at a party instead of Kanye for f's sake. Byrne's unique (sounds like Bowie a bit now that I'm revisiting) voice and the electronic/rock/dance sound of this album is just so clutch in a time of need.

Check Out: Psycho Killer (live version, eh?), Take Me to the River, Burning Down the House (of course). Also the movie!

42. Eric Clapton - Crossroads (1988)
That's right. I'm going to be a big d___k and be lazy and pick Crossroads as my favorite Clapton album(s). You know why? Well... to be quite honest there is so much Clapton to pick from and I didn't wanna be the guy who has 3-4 Clapton projects on a top 100 list. So, where do we start with this massive boxed set? Well... what do you like? We have Cream, The Yardbirds, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers... Derek and the Dominos... Clapton's massive solo career. This was what got ME into Clapton personally. When I was still discovering the classics, I picked this up off of one of those earlier file sharing programs (I remember, because this took me almost 2-3 days to download)... before that time I'd never really heard of The Yardbirds, I knew Cream by name only... the only Clapton I KNEW was his constantly played radio singles - Cocaine, Tears in Heaven (not in this collection) Crossroads of course and Wonderful Tonight (although I'm not quite sure I realized this was Clapton at the time). I say use this album to find what Clapton you like and continue to explore... chances are, if you're like me, using this album as a launching point will allow you to find some great music that you otherwise might have missed; which is why I have included it in my Top 100. This set allowed me to discover the artists I mentioned above... and it was a one stop shop for everything Clapton (before 1988). This is not the perfect set - I don't like some of the songs on here, but there is so much that I do like that the pros outweigh the cons by a hefty margin.

Check out: ... hmm... check out all of it and then explore on your own, I guess.

41. Sunny Day Real Estate - How It Feels to Be Something On (1998)
I never knew how these guys didn't catch on in my little piece of suburbia. Maybe... maybe we were just a little after their "time"? I like this release better than Diary, to be honest. It feels a little more put together, a little... more cohesive if you will. This was the album they made after they had reunited following some earlier disputes. I enjoy the relaxed vibe of this album to the musical ADD of Diary and even the Pink Album. Known as the liberators of "emo" from the murky depths of the sub-genre underground, SDRE certainly doesn't sound like what we consider emo now - and I hate that label being stuck to them. God forbid I try to introduce them to a friend calling them "emo" - but that's what you get when you MUST put a label on everything. I think they sound a bit more BritPop than emo in some cases and might even attempt to pass them off that way. Discovered these guys the way you should... hearing them play in a record store and asking the guy behind the counter who it was, and picking up the CD. I downloaded Diary and the Pink Album when I let this little fella play in my stereo for awhile.

Check out: Days Were Golden, Roses in Water, Pillars

Last edited by Crowe; 12-21-2008 at 11:03 PM.
Crowe is offline   Reply With Quote