Music Banter - View Single Post - Life After Death
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 12:54 AM   #24 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

Christ that was kind of hard to follow, I'm not completely sure I understood it because I don't know much about Socrates and my knowledge of Aristotle is completely political. Is Athens and Jerusalem a good read? I like the idea of contrasting reason and faith. I'm about to sleep...so I'll be more talkative about that bit if you want when I wake and am less tired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
Ah-ha!!, but even the process of chemical reaction must originate from something else Jack. To suggest otherwise would contradict the existence of the universe itself.

Simply put, none of you are thinking on a high enough level here; if everything comes from something, then the processes you people assume have given rise to our rather coincidental existence must originate from something even further back. And ultimately, this train of thought can only keep leading us back and back and back, a straight line moving into the past that has no end. Hence, the source of what determines even the most basic of basics must be something beyond what a human being can define, and the closest concept that humanity has been able to conceive which provides an answer to this absurdity is a little thing called God.

All that aside, it doesn't matter what happens to us after death. The only meaning worth holding close at heart is that the potential of a greater force above us is undeniably there, and that possibility is enough for me in this life that I am living, even if I as a human being am worth no more to the universe than the stray cocckroach that gets crushed beneath the sole of my shoe.
I don't really understand your thought process here in the slightest. How could an indifferent universe make your life meaningless but an indifferent "God" make your life meaningful?
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote