Music Banter - View Single Post - You have to listen to this
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 06:23 AM   #32 (permalink)
4ZZZ
Forever young

The opening track The Ritalin Conspiracy to me sums up the entire album. A mix of hard edged Metal, Ska, found sounds and along with the extreme vocal technique and oddball time changes, it makes for a good opening song that is indicative of the future. Bird-watching And Vice Versa is seemingly standard Ska but just rips away that pretence within seconds. Corpse Disposal For Dummies. One has to impressed with the title of the track. Again we are treated to various stylistic changes that jump at the listener. "They Won't Stay in the Ground" the singer screams as we switch into hand clapping ska. Witty stuff. Fear Everything. I am unable to understand the singer at all and then he shocks us with clear and concise vocal that reminds one, for a moment, that he can sing with out growling. Is that criticism? No. Just a comment on style. The Great Red Cross Robbery follows with the same heady mix of Ska and Metal. Not a melodic track at all with even the horns playing off key at the end. If You Really Love Me is a favourite. Catchy horn lick and less hard edged singing (I think). The First Rule starts with the usual Metal sounds and approximately half way through heads into super ska beats and horns. Satin V The United States Of America. God-damn your soul to the fires of hell. He already has. Haa haa! Witty stuff. I think so anyway. World Of Chaos. Album of chaos morelike but I have been enjoying it. Is that a hint of eastern folk influenced Ska? Not for long. Bennett Bruar is a hard edged 1 minute bust that leads to the gentle Weaug, Teaug, Peaug (the powder of life). This is more reggae than ska. We finish with the delightfully named **** Piss Die. What a name for a song. Kinda sums it all up.
In conclusion I enjoyed this record. It was definitely a mix of styles that was very new to me. Initially I was sceptical that it was working but after several plays I began to enjoy the oddball mix. When extreme vocals are used I generally prefer the vocal technique employed by say the likes of Yamatsuka Eye but I have found that the vocals on this album became more palatable with each listen. I think there is in fact a sense of humour that seems to carry through the album and that drags it along to the end.

Well met Jackhammer. I am up for more to test my senses.
4ZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote