Music Banter - View Single Post - Talkin' Bob Dylan
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 04:15 AM   #112 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsitoosit View Post
Don't look back was on VH1 last night... Dylan came across as a tough guy to talk to. I kinda liked how he handled the Journalists though... he really seemed to stay true to himself in times where most artist would sell themselves out.
Dylan comes off as smug and arrogant in the documentary. I felt sorry Donovan because Dylan treated him so shabbily during his visit to Dylan's hotel room. Donovan played one of his work-in-progress compositions for Dylan who appeared to be bored. When the guitar gets passed to Dylan he plays perhaps his greatest song ever It's All Over Now Baby Blue just to trump Donovan's musicianship. It was sad to watch Donovan humbly voluteering to pick up the beer bottles Dylan's entourage had been throwing out the window like he's a roadie or hanger on.

The D.A. Pennebaker documentary is a classic and his fly-on-the-wall approach reveals a great deal about Dylan. Pennebaker had control over the final editing cuts and I'm surprised Dylan relinquished those rights to him because Pennebaker included a lot of scenes that weren't exactly flattering to Dylan.

That was a long time ago and undoubtably Dylan is older and wiser. I still think he's a enigma but he manages to share a small part of himself in his autobiogrpahy.
Gavin B. is offline   Reply With Quote