Music Banter - View Single Post - Talkin' Bob Dylan
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 04:04 PM   #117 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog
has anyone heard the basement tapes?, the album he did with 'the band'? is it any good?, i imagine it being great, but i cant find it anywhere
The Basement Tapes are available as an MP3 download or in the CD format at Amazon. Amazon.com: The Basement Tapes: MP3 Downloads: Bob Dylan & The Band

An edition of the Basement Tapes been in issue for several years but a lot of retailers don't carry it because it's not one of the better selling Dylan titles. What's really unusual about the Basement Tapes it's one of those rare occasions when Dylan seems relaxed and unenigmatic.

The full story on the Basement Tapes is that the 24 songs on the cd are only a small portion of the 125 or so songs recorded at Big Pink by Dylan and the Band. I'm hoping the Complete Basement Tapes get released as part of the highly successful Dylan "Bootleg" release project because a lot of the best stuff still hasn't been issued.

Bootlegs of the complete sessions have been floating around for years and I've heard a few dozen cuts that didn't make it to the 1975 Basement Tapes collection. Here's some of the material you won't find on the Basement Tapes:

All You Have to Do is Dream [version one is the better of the two]--one of Dylan's finest. Understated lyrics with an underlying depth that leave you second guessing each reading of the song. Beautifully performed by all involved.

Rock, Salt, and Nails--beautiful Utah Phillips' song. I've never heard a better vocal from Dylan or a more delicate performance from The Band.

Get Your Rocks Off--filthy lyrics, filthy performance. The lyrics remind me a bit of "Rainy Day Women" in that they front as a series of naughty puns but carry a greater weight. The song is just ideal. Dylan at his bluesy best.

Quinn the Eskimo--very fun song. And the two best versions of the song [un]available.

I'm not There (1956)--now available on the otherwise poor soundtrack for the film of the same title, many say it's the best song of all the Basement material. I don't, but it is beautiful and haunting.

Don't Ya Tell Henry--Dylan's version. Supremely better than The Band's. The lyrics remind me of "Ballad of a Thin Man," except, Dylan is having a poke at his own perceptions. I like to think of it as "Ballad of a Thin Man" ran through a deeply religious experience. The quirky brass reminds me a bit of some of Tom Waits' 80's material.

Too Much of Nothing V2--better than the version here. Great song either way.

I Shall Be Released--available on the Bootleg volume's 1-3 [disc 2], one of Dylan's greatest songs and greatest performances [the ultimate performance of the song].

Santa Fe--like "I'm not There," the lyrics are a bit difficult to make out at times, and like "I'm not There," the beautiful performance makes the lyrics almost unnecessary.

Silent Weekend--not my favorite, but a good number of people rate it as one of the better songs from the sessions. It's a good song.

Sing on the Cross--brilliant song. Dylan never wrote a more haunting chorus. It's very strange in that the verses and the drunken rant seem to be a good deal of nonsense swirling around that very pointed chorus, but it definitely works together.

I'm a Fool for You--starts beautifully and falls apart. Still worth hearing for said start.

Next Time on the Highway--great bluesy rock song. Clever lyrics, great performance by all involved.

See You Later, Allen Ginsberg--worth mentioning for its silliness.

Big River--after a warm up, Dylan out-man's Cash and out-sneers Lou Reed and Iggy Pop.

Ol' Roison Le Beau--beautiful drinking song. The distortion doesn't hurt any.
Gavin B. is offline   Reply With Quote