Music Banter - View Single Post - Some Album Reviews
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 12:59 AM   #23 (permalink)
RoemerMW
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezZ View Post

Santana: Abraxas
Released in 1970 by Columbia Records

1. "Singing Winds, Crying Beasts" - 4:48
2. "Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen" - 5:24
3. "Oye Como Va" - 4:19
4. "Incident at Neshabur" - 5:02
5. "Se a Cabo" - 2:51
6. "Mother's Daughter" - 4:28
7. "Samba Pa Ti" - 4:47
8. "Hope You're Feeling Better" - 4:07
9. "El Nicoya" - 1:32
10. "Se a Cabo (Live)" - 3:47
11. "Toussaint L'Ouverture (Live)" - 4:52
12. "Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen - 4:57

Santana does not really need a long introduction like many o f the lesser known artists out there. He is notorious for his long carrear, wealth of different band members, and Latin RocknRoll. Abraxas is his second album that follows his first self titled "Santana" release. The big difference that sets Abraxas apart is its song structure. While there are still long jams and the big band sound, songs are more formulated making the replayabilty much higher.

My favorite aspect of this album is its (as previously mentioned) playability. Songs flow very well into each other and make for a great album experience. This is by no means an attempt to produce singles or standout tracks but one long latin masterpiece. The track listing above includes live track's and bonus tracks that were added when Sony remastered this album in 1998. If your in it for the quick download listen this is your best bet.

If you are looking to get a foot in the door when it comes to Latin rock or Santana in general, then this is definitely a good place to start. I recommend for the real experience spend the extra 10 dollars and go with the vinyl. Regardless of me being a big vinyl pusher I think an old album like this sounds good with a little crackle and pop of the old style sound.

P.S.* Abraxas probably has the best album cover ever. I dare you to find a more psychedelic work.
It's great to see some love for Santana, he's such an underrated musician. This is one of my favorite albums ever, and I rarely hear it mentioned.