Music Banter - View Single Post - You have to listen to this
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 06:27 AM   #45 (permalink)
Fruitonica
Pale and Wan

I think 4ZZZ articulated my thoughts on the album quite well, but I came away from it with a much less positive stance because it isn't really my style.

I would call it a nice album, some of the arrangements are quite pretty, and it definitely works well as a cohesive whole, crafting continuous atmosphere throughout.

But for me, a lot of the time it really strayed too close to easy listening ambience, pleasant but there wasn't much that really engaged me. Similarly, the stylistic unity of the songs makes them bleed together and I'm left with a bunch of vague impressions and no real concrete memories of the album. Which I suppose might be the aim of some ambient music, but it doesn't appeal to me.

Additionally, the vocals on the album are very poor, just prominent enough to snag my attention, but ultimately unsatisfying. Two, Three, Fall is a perfect example, the acoustic guitar is good but the vocals are far too faint and breathy.

Maybe I'm just being a lazy listener, because as 4ZZZ said, there is a lot of complex layered arrangements which I'm only taking at face value. If I sat down with a good pair of headphones and gave it my full attention to catch all the nuances it might start to grow on me. But as it is, I don't think I'm going to give it the chance.
Fruitonica is offline   Reply With Quote