Music Banter - View Single Post - You have to listen to this
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2009, 04:10 PM   #62 (permalink)
Terrible Lizard
****ER OF HOLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molecules View Post

Molly's review of JH's Mice Parade - Obrigado Saudade (2004)

The title of this album is Portugese and translates as 'thank you saudade'. Here's the definition from wiki which I feel sums up the mood and intention of this album:

''...Portuguese and Galician word for a feeling of nostalgic longing for something or someone that one was fond of and which is lost. It often carries a fatalist tone and a repressed knowledge that the object of longing might really never return. Saudade differs from nostalgia in that whereas nostalgia involves a mixed happy and sad feeling for the lost memories, saudade involves the hope that what is being longed for might return. Saudade has been described as a "vague and constant desire for something that does not and probably cannot exist,... a turning towards the past or towards the future". A stronger form of saudade may be felt towards people and things whose whereabouts are unknown, such as a lost lover, or a family member who has gone missing.''

The by turns blissful and mournful post-rock sound of this album lives up to it's title. To me Obrigado Saudade it was a homage to an intangible sense of optimism for the future (frustratingly translucent), a celebration of what lost ideals ring in our ears and sorrow that we have lost them... admittedly after I read the wiki.

I think the greatness in soft, near-subconscious instrumental music like this is that the listener can paint their own picture on a vast canvas. You can choose to cry or pretend it's the score to your kooky little DV indie movie

Reflective, sometimes ambient and vague but with flourishes of acoustica - piano, harp, xylophone and guitar - the album is really quite beautiful if you're in the mood. There are one or two more lively happenings buried deep down somewhere, a tumbling lounge-jazz drumline, but they swiftly allow themselves to be swallowed in the hum. On any given day of sicker passion it might bore me, but not today!
Good review! Oh, dude change the user title it sounds like that song by the Verve.