Music Banter - View Single Post - Why Christian Bale is my all-time favorite rock music critic
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2009, 10:28 AM   #36 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piss Me Off View Post
I just really hate Phil Collins
Phil Collins is a pretty easy guy for anyone who isn't tone deaf to hate. I can't say enough bad things about his music. To be fair to the talentless bald-headed little gnome, I've heard he's a nice guy who pretends to be nothing more than what he is. I worry more about those success driven musical hacks who willfully pass off their cliched product as high art. There is nothing more annoying than a stupid person who has convinced himself that he's brilliant artist.

The satrical subtext Christian Bale's over-the-top reviews of Huey Lewis and Phil Collins music was this: Only a sociopath is capable of finding deep meaning in music as vacuous and contrived as the music of Huey Lewis or Phil Collins.

I thought most folks were astute enough to catch the double edged message of Bale's histronics in that scene but perhaps I expect too much from people.

I have a nasty habit trying add nuaunced meaning into that which is best understood as random madness. Its quite possible that I haven't come to grips with the absurd nature of my own loosely connected associations with reality, in precisely the same demented manner as Christian Bale's character in American Psycho. Of course that would put me in the precarious position being criminally clueless a serious charge, which I'll never cop a plea to, even if I'm deemed mentally unfit to stand trial for being dead wrong about everything.

Your unrepentant hatred of Phil Collins has provoked me to embark upon my own fearful pilgrimage up the winding river, and straight into darkest regions of my subconcious mind to do mortal combat with my demonic Kurtz alter-ego. If my mission is successful I will not simply hate Phil Collins, but I will also hate Phil Collins for all the right reasons. The horror...the horror of it all.

It's my own frivolous yet stubborn conviction that Bale was making brilliant statement about the insipid mediocrity of corporate "rock and roll." Somebody out there must be buying all those millions of Phil Collins records, and yet I've never personally known a single Phil Collins fan and there's a damn good reason why don't know any Phil Collins fans. It's the same reason I'm not aquainted with a single person who is a faithful viewer of American Idol.