Music Banter - View Single Post - The Alfred Top 25
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 03:40 PM   #33 (permalink)
Alfred
one big soul

17. He Is Legend "I Am Hollywood" (2004)

What it is: I'm just gonna say Hard Rock
Favorite Track: You Think I'm Pretty?

I love those bands that seem to combine elements of other bands you like, and that is the case with He Is Legend. They combine the heavy southern edge of Maylene with the pretty singing and post-hardcore atmosphere of Alexisonfire, and at the same time have their own idiosynchrasies. The end product is a very enjoyable hard rock album.

The reason I choose this album over 2006's "Suck Out The Poison" is partially because this is the last album with Schuylar Croom aforementioned pretty vocals, which are almost completely absent from that album (as HIL have stated is because of his excessive smoking). This

One weakness I have continually noticed with He Is Legend is their songwriting. It's not terrible, but it's quite simple. However, the excellent vocal delivery makes up for that. Schuylar Croom has fantastic screaming, singing, or whatever he decides to do with his voice. He certainly has a way around a vocal riff.

Most of the tracks on the album use the same formula. Fast rhythm, screaming/clean singing shifts, many guitar riffs, but you know the old saying, if it ain't broke...

I've posted this before...