Music Banter - View Single Post - You have to listen to this
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 06:51 PM   #112 (permalink)
Fruitonica
Pale and Wan

Made in Mexico - Zodiac Zoo

Righto, noise rock is much more of my thing than the last album I picked up from this thread so I was looking forward to it. And overall I think it's a good album, but very unexceptional.

It gets off to a good start with Untitled, I like the short build up with the acoustic, and when the dirty churning riffs kick in the energy is good. The beat is excellent and backing choir is a nice textural touch.

But from here it's a pretty flat ride, not that the quality goes down, in fact it probably picks up a notch. But it is a very repetitive album, they need to play around more. A lot of sections devolve into some hypnotic droning oblibion, which saps intensity from the more energetic moments.
For example, Clockwork starts out great, but when the quivering guitar and low key vocals kicked in it was fairly forgettable, they just went on for too long. And then for some reason they used the same guitar style on Occam's Razor which comes right after, thankfully the bass really managed to save it.

On the plus side the vocals are perfectly suited to the music, and partly because of the repetition there weren't any sections that I actually disliked.

6.5/10
Fruitonica is offline   Reply With Quote