Music Banter - View Single Post - The Alfred Top 25
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 11:36 AM   #36 (permalink)
Alfred
one big soul

15. Bob Dylan "Bringing It All Back Home" (1965)

What it is: Bob Dylan
Favorite Track: It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)

In November I had the pleasure of seeing Bob Dylan live in London, Ontario. This was my first ever concert, and the only reason I got to see it is because my dad is a huge Dylan fan, he has been since high school. I'm pretty sure he has all of his pre-1990 albums on vinyl, and he's got Modern Times and the Essential Bob Dylan on CD (he plays the crap out of them). So anyways, there's my Bob Dylan background. I grew up hating him because that's all my dad would listen to and I couldn't stand the voice, but in recent years I have come to appreciate and enjoy his music and lyrics.

Soon after the concert, I decided to actually give Bob a good listen. So I obviously started with his "holy trinity" (and to be honest I haven't downloaded much by him since). The album that stood out for me was this one. I'm a lot for familiar with this album than the other two. It contains many songs I already knew from previous experiance with Dylan. Subterranean Homesick Blues, Mr. Tamourine Man, and It's All Over Now, Baby Blue were favorites of my dad, and apparently a lot of people. It's Alright, Ma was wonderful live, even though he turned it into a blues song.

I feel that this album sounds more like Dylan. There's a more folky feel here than the other albums, and my favorite Dylan songs are his more folk-oriented ones. I can't give It's Alright Ma enough praise. Everything about it, the mood, the delivery, and especially the lyrics are fantastic. Actually scratch that, all the songs on the album have fantastic lyrics. Dylan amuses me with his words just as much as any rapper does. Maggie's Farm and Subterranean Homesick Blues are especially good examples of what I'm talking about.

I now look back at my former self and snicker at how ignorant and close-minded I was. See, I wanted to listen to hard rock, something that I was forbidden to do at the time, taboo even, so when I heard this folk-rock stuff all the time it was really annoying. But now that I'm older I can finally enjoy Bob Dylan... even if my dad continues to overplay him.

And now a classic video...