Music Banter - View Single Post - Life After Death
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 10:07 PM   #87 (permalink)
cardboard adolescent
;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtlan22 View Post
That's truth CA. It seems to me that afterlife is a convenient way to explain off a lifetime of enslavement and complacency to a system of powerful and powerless. It appears to be a lot more effective as a control device than anything to really give anyone hope about their lives. Whether there is an afterlife or not it is false hope. It's false because it convinces people that what they have right in front of them is not good enough. I also happen to think that heaven is an attainable state of mind within life and hell is no different. The ideas of heaven and hell work a lot better for me as metaphors for the here and now rather than the afterlife. The biblical paradise is only lost to us because of the way we all view the world, not because Adam & Eve were expelled from it by God.

This world has everything anyone could ever need. And if you don't think so, all you need do is change the way you look at it.
It's funny, because I agree with the quote that "a mind is its own place, and in itself/ can make a heaven out of hell, a hell of heaven"

it's funny because on the one hand in the context of paradise lost it's the logic of Satan trying to justify his alienation from God, so it seems like pantheism=satanism. on the other hand, Satan says that the mind can turn heaven into hell, so there's no reason to assume that going back to paradise (after death) we wouldn't just rebel against god again, and start it all over.
cardboard adolescent is offline   Reply With Quote