Music Banter - View Single Post - The Alfred Top 25
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 09:46 PM   #39 (permalink)
Alfred
one big soul

14. Lagwagon "Let's Talk About Feelings" (1998)

What it is: "The SoCal Sound"
Favorite Track: Change Despair

Ahh Lagwagon, been rocking them since Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2. That'll be the second band (and album for that matter) that I was introduced to through that video game. Viewing its hideous and juvenile-looking album art and title, and taking into account my description "SoCal Sound" one might assume that Lagwagon are just a poor-man's NOFX. If we're talking about their musical aspects, then you'd be somewhat correct.

While there's the silly short song "Hurry Up and Wait", Lagwagon have a more mature and laid back tone than NOFX, and there's something about them that doesn't scream of "pure shit". It's almost an authenticity thing. They don't think they're all "punk rawk" like NOFX, and their focus is not to be crude, but to write songs about everyday life. These things make Let's Talk About Feelings the perfect pop punk record.

Musically, Lagwagon uses elements of most skate punk bands. Fast tempo, technical guitar, and often changing tempos. For a punk band, their (and I guess most bands like this) instrumentation is complex, but at least they don't hide their skill because it's not tr00 punx.

The most common theme here is annoyance with other people:
Quote:
I know that it's not funny but it's true
No one gives a shit but you
Maybe I'll just swallow all these thoughts
Maybe someday you'll stop
Quote:
Your tragedy so easy to read,
Is bitter envy
They're reaping all the lowly benefits
You missed the train they stole
but there's also moments of an encouraging attitude
Quote:
Take a step to freedom
You and her loathing this cruel world
Take a breath of shelter and exhale
Trust and allegiance
Leberate yourself from hell
Joey Cape is one of my favorite songwriters, regardless of how arguably simplistic his songwriting may be.

One of the best aspects of "Let's Talk About Feelings" is that there's not a single song on here that I don't like. The overall sound is very smooth and together. There's a lot of catchy moments, a lot of really fast streaks, and some well played effects or samples that add to the experience.

I know most of you would probably dismiss this album, but if you want a fun, enjoyable experiance try this album. It's twenty-five minutes of (for the most part) upbeat poppy, overall perfect punk rock. How anyone can dislike it is beyond me, but to each his own.

Watch this video. Lagwagon was one of the bands that made Warped Tour worthwhile. I don't think they'll be back.

Last edited by Alfred; 02-21-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Alfred is offline   Reply With Quote