Music Banter - View Single Post - Of Montreal
Thread: Of Montreal
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 07:25 AM   #99 (permalink)
joyboyo53
down the rabbit hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
Right... annnnd?

It is not supposed to be organized at all. I don't know how it is that I can convey that to you strongly enough so that you'll actually believe it, but better believe it buddy, it's the case. There is no attempt at some sort of artistic 'organized chaos' here. It is plainly just an all-over-the-place big splotch of a jigsaw puzzle. It's not even supposed to be in order or to go together. Yes dude, it IS actually incohesive by intent. It's breaking any conventions of organization, even what you call 'organized chaos'. It's a complete free reign. You might not LIKE that, but please, do NOT speak about it as if it was anything other than Kevin Barnes' strict intent, because such a proposition is beyond ridiculous, almost as much as it is untrue.
dude we get it, you think the album is terrific. i really enjoy it too, but your looking at it through the eyes of a fan and not looking at the album ojectively. you know kevin is a talented musician with a lot of ideas, but he ultimately records low fi catchy pop tunes that he records rather quickly. he may have "meant" for it to be recorded as such, but if so it was done in such a way that it took away, and not added to the album. now i am not one to say that reviews are definative, but when allmusic gives it a 2.5/5 and pitchfork gives it a 5.9/10 it obviously wasnt his best work. both reviews cited the exact thing i speak of. its not like im making this **** up. i am a huge OM fan, i own every album and have listened to them far too many times.... but please understand that kevin barnes is no beethoven, and he doesnt **** rainbows.
joyboyo53 is offline   Reply With Quote