Music Banter - View Single Post - HEY NOOBS! Want a band or song recommendation? Don't start a new thread-POST HERE!
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 02:02 PM   #789 (permalink)
Pianogirl75
Music Addict

Quote:
First of all, I'm new to this forum, so hi all! I'm a 17 (almost 18) year old boy living in Belgium and I joined this forum to ask you and myself what my music taste is. (is that a correct word in the English language?).

I'm a huge movie fan, but my music taste is...undeveloped let's say. I always listened to movie soundtracks because it has a connection with my hobby, but for the rest of it I did not searched what sort of artists or bands I liked. It is just recently that I became interested in music. Too bad it's very hard to just "jump in" the world of music. I have absolutely no idea what my kind of genre is and I have no knowledge about artists/bands.

That's where you guys come in. I recently discovered some artists with a great voice, lyrics and rhythm in my opinion. Because you guys know a lot about music (at least a few guys here), you could help me finding new artists.

I like:

-Bob Dylan ( Almost all his songs. Every single song of the Highway 61 revisited album is amazing imo.)

-Bruce Springsteen (Atlantic City, Nebraska and the Born In the USA cd)

- Buffalo Springfield (For what it's worth)

- Bob Marley (his classics)

- Neil Young ( a few)

- Simon and Garfunkel ( a few)

I like:

- A good rhythm. Don't has to be "simple", but I don't like Tom Waits songs. They are like lots and lots of words said after each other, but there is no structure in the song.

- A deep, manly voice like Bob Dylan and Bruce Springfield.

- Good lyrics, with a political message (but that's not necessary). I appreciate it when the artist write/wrote his own songs.

- Don't overdo it. I dislike Queen because everything is so bombastic and they don't stopp yelling. A guitar, a good voice, superb lyrics and maybe a little band if that's necessary is good enough for me.

Any suggestions?

Kind regards,

-Boegie
Here are my recommendations:

Here's the most obvious one, Bob's son Jakob: YouTube - Jakob Dylan - Valley of the low sun

Kings of Convenience YouTube - Kings of Convenience-Surprise Ice
Joseph Arthur YouTube - Honey and the Moon - Redemption's son album (Joseph Arthur) with Lyrics
Jose Gonzalez YouTube - José González - Deadweight on Velveteen

Wilco: they have some great rhythms lyrics YouTube - Wilco - War On War (Letterman)

This one might be a stretch, but it definitely has a message:
YouTube - Dave Matthews Band - Don't Drink The Water

Last edited by Pianogirl75; 03-04-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Pianogirl75 is offline   Reply With Quote