Music Banter - View Single Post - You have to listen to this
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 04:46 PM   #153 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotjuice View Post
I really liked it. I'll let somebody else who's good at writing reviews provide the full-on thing, but I was hooked from Cut Self Not, which is a phenomenal opening track that definitely grabs your attention. The Fourth Introduction is also a fantastic song. Some other random observations on my second listen through.

Conceptual Separation of Self is kind of a puzzling track for me, because it sort of builds but then never really goes anywhere. It's got some nice cello work, but overall it doesn't really fit in with the flow of the rest of the album. I like it as a break from the angular, jagged songs that sandwich it, but at almost 7 minutes it slightly wears out its welcome. I do like it, though.

Study Complacency shows who influenced Minus the Bear.

If I wasn't sold on the album by now, the final 3 songs did it for me. Sea Song has some of the best guitar work on the album IMO, and ends with a solid 2 minute instrumental bit. The View From This Tower, my personal favorite song on the album, is just crazy good. If the band had been holding anything back up until this point, they let it all out on this song. Love the bassline. Once the vocals finally enter about 3 minutes in, the instruments build up around them, and then finally just let loose again when the vocals are done. The best part of me for this song is the drumming. A Missing Piece is a great way to bring the album back down from the high of the last song to a great close.

Overall I would give it an 8/10, and I'm already firing up Last.FM looking for similar stuff. Any recommendations would be amazing.
Glad you liked it. Volta do Mar are like an instrumental version of Faraquet. You may like This Town Needs Guns too.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote