Music Banter - View Single Post - T. Rex -"Electric Warrior"
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2009, 10:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
4ZZZ
Forever young

When I was a youngster Metal Guru was a massive song. I always misunderstood the lyric though. "Metal Guru is a Jew" A little while later I realised that I had got it wrong

It is funny reading gushing revues of the likes of T Rex. Not wanting to harp on about when I was young, but when I was young, (sorry) T Rex were unmercifully trashed by Led Zeppelin fans etc as being a teeny bopper band and not worthy. I actually preferred Slade,(cum on feel the noize girls grab the boyz) but still copped it from my older peers. "They cant play their instruments" was the pathetic rant. Yes of course! Can't play like Jimmy therefore irrelevant.
These 2 bands named, and various others, were the equivalent if the Jonas Brothers etc BELIEVE IT OR NOT. Now there is this nostalgia that states that T Rex were in fact a rather useful psychedelia band, that Slade were a rather good rock and roll band.
BUT...... the reality was that, at the time, they were reviled by the more "serious" music "lovers'. Arghh those doyens of my past, those protectors of my teenage taste. God bless them for putting me on the straight and narrow.

Those memories!

Scuse my sarcasm. I guess I find it strange, laughable, odd, ironic, whatever!......that decades on that what was once the epitome of band taste is now the epitome of impressive nostalgia.