Music Banter - View Single Post - Physical discipline against children .. okay or not?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 05:25 PM   #90 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitonica View Post
Regarding the studies you posted, how many other factors did they investigate? Because I think that corporal punishment would be much more common in homes of a lower socio-economic status, a situation that already skews the child's development slightly towards the results of the study.

There are so many variables in the statistics that I kinda feel like it would be a case of over regulation to make laws based off that evidence.
That's certainly a good point and I'm sure the setup for many of these tests are not ideal as such trends are very hard to study. However, judging from the amount of studies covering this from different angles and ending up at the same conclusions, I'd say I think the overall pattern is credible.

I'm also sure there's a fair amount of misinformation out there from both sides of the fence considering how this issue emotionally involves so many different people, but at least scientific ethics should help keep such corruption out of scientific results.