Music Banter - View Single Post - The possibility of life on other planets.. Aliens...
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #29 (permalink)
dac
MB's Biggest Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by khfreek View Post
Origins of Life on Earth - Biology Online

"It is believed that heterotrophs were the first beginnings of life on Earth, inhabiting the sea and absorbing the organic material that was being created by the reactions of Earth at the time (i.e. the creation of amino acids). The building blocks of life created these organisms and also acted as a food source."

I learned in biology last year that the creation of the first amino acids had something to do with lightning hitting some particles, but I'll be damned if I can't remember what the actual experiment to test that theory was (toretorden, any ideas?). Point is, amino acids were pretty lucky, but this planet's perfect conditions is the real fluke.
So what's stopping that "fluke" from happening in other solar systems? When you consider the trillions of stars and planets out there, it is very likely that such a "fluke" could happen again. Also one could assume that all life, if given enough time will evolve to some sort of intelligence.

dac is offline   Reply With Quote