Music Banter - View Single Post - Pavement Discography Review
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2009, 09:04 AM   #33 (permalink)
Kevorkian Logic
Imperfectly Perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roygbiv View Post
Brighten The Corners [Matador; 1997]

The pattern so far: Pavement’s second album sounded nothing like their debut, and their third album sounded nothing like their second album, instead sharing the same philosophy and energy as their debut. Brighten The Corners, Pavement’s most underrated album, once again skips influences to sound as refined as their second album, Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain as opposed to its predecessor, Wowee Zowee. This makes the album more accessible, but less dense than Slanted & Enchanted and Wowee Zowee.

The reason why it’s so underrated is due to its derivative approach and mostly predictable moments. I say mostly because nobody will see some of the album’s jokes coming, especially in album opener “Stereo,” hands down Pavement’s most hilarious track, ever. But while Wowee Zowee would consistently keep a smile on your face, slowly unravelling its madness as the years go by, the fun moments in Brighten The Corners are few and far between and insubstantial, making for a very funny first few listens but it just doesn’t hold a candle of longetivity.

Anyways, here’s why I think it’s an underrated album: despite its generally derivative nature, the album is filled with hooks and singable verses the same way Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain was, albeit more prominently, but unlike CR, CR, Brighten the Corners is much, much more cohesive, making for an easier listen-through.

It doesn’t have the lasting appeal that Wowee Zowee has, nor does it have the immediate hooks that Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain has, and it doesn’t sound like Slanted & Enchanted both in terms of production and attitude, so Brighten The Corners sits comfortably in a grey area, allowing the listener to shape-shift it to their liking, thinking whatever they of from it. If it I was a kid in high school it would be a subtly hilarious but mostly shy freshman that is just too nice to fight back the school bullies. It’s a sweet album, but it gets lost within Pavement’s more confident musical statements.

9.2/10
eh, I see why you are trying to justify this album being rated higher than it is, and I went and gave it a re-listen attempting to see it from your point. I still feel that this album compared to other ones falls flat. And I think it is the predictability that you pointed out. I appreciate this album for the fact that it helps people who otherwise could not get into pavement get into the magic of their songs. And I do like listening to this album, the song Date with Ikea comes to mind. But I just don't feel like it is deserving of a 9.2 when being compared to their other albums.

Just as a side note, all your reviews have been very interesting to read.