Music Banter - View Single Post - Primal Scream
Thread: Primal Scream
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 01:46 PM   #45 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Primal Scream turned down an offer to tour America, according to Steven Van Zandt, the guitarist in Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band, because of the drug problems of "waste of space" Bobby Gillespie.

Van Zandt lashed out at Gillespie in an interview with the Daily Record, saying that Primal Scream "could be the biggest band in the world" if it weren't for their bad habits.

"I tried to get Primal Scream to come over to America several times," he said. "I thought their album before this last one was one of the greatest records in 10 years. I begged them to come over. I had a whole tour for them."

Van Zandt is a highly respected figure in American music, writing hit songs, performing with Springsteen, hosting radio shows and even playing Silvio Dante on The Sopranos TV show. But when it came to Primal Scream, he couldn't get anywhere. "Their agent talked me out of it," he said. "[The agent] said: 'They can't do 20 shows.' I'm like, 'Come on, man. We do 20 shows a month.'"

"Primal Scream could be the biggest band in the world. They are fantastic when they make rock records – once every 10 years. But they can't tour because of drug problems, or whatever. I don't have patience for it. I'm like, all right, you want to be a drug addict, go be a drug addict. Don't waste my time."

There might be some truth in that but if it wasn't for the drugs their music wouldn't be half as good as what it is.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote