Music Banter - View Single Post - How Real Is Christianity?
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009, 11:37 PM   #108 (permalink)
Scarlett O'Hara
Make it so

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibber View Post
This I think is the most off-putting aspect to Christianity for me. It's that holier-than-thou attitude that a lot of Christians have that they somehow have better morals, better judgement, and as an extension are better people than me because I don't believe in God.

I know TONS of people who proclaim to be devout christians, and they are some of the most dishonest, mean-spirited destructive people I've ever come into contact with. Christianity doesn't "save" people. I would not be a better person if I were a Christian, I would not be better off, I would not have an easier life.

I'd like you to clarify what you mean by "there is no set principles for non-believing." The way I understand it, you think that people who don't believe in God lack a system of principals and morals. I'm really tempted to go off on that but I'll give you a chance to clarify before I do.
To continue your point Jibber, I will add that it is well known that people who are unreligious often still hold morals and principles very highly, in regards to living life without seeming completely selfish, having dignity and respect for yourself and others, etc. Morals are a major aspect of Christianity, but are often abused and used to make others feel unworthy and always in debt to their faith. It's about finding middle ground, and being influenced from wise role models to decide how you want to live your life and treat others. Paris Hilton is not a good example of this. Ha.