Music Banter - View Single Post - How Real Is Christianity?
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 01:40 AM   #171 (permalink)
cardboard adolescent
;)

here's a question taking it to the extreme of abstraction: why do things perpetuate themselves if not out of fear for ending? just for kicks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibber View Post
Many people who do charity work do so from a feeling of right and wrong. It is wrong that people suffer needlessly, and they want to help. Many of these people are not religious, and they seek no gratification for their work. They don't look for ways to publicize their charity to show the world "hey everyone, look what a good person I am!" They are satisfied with just the work itself. You can reduce it to whatever you want to, you can say it's guilt , a selfish desire to look good, a selfish desire to make themselves feel better, or whatever you want to explain the motivation. I don't agree with you, and since we're arguing on points that are impossible to prove or disprove, and since frankly, this debate is starting to get boring, that's all I have to say about it.
the point is you CAN trace it back to something, and if that something isn't God or something equivalent like Truth, Love, Justice, or Goodness, which all reside in a "Heaven of Ideas," it's probably something kind of stupid/banal. like a chemical reaction.

Last edited by cardboard adolescent; 04-07-2009 at 01:46 AM.
cardboard adolescent is offline   Reply With Quote