Music Banter - View Single Post - What made you like Metal music?
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 05:29 PM   #30 (permalink)
ElephantSack
Man vs. Wild Turkey

The first album I ever bought was Alice in Chains' Dirt when I was 8, which was the same year I started playing bass. Some people consider them a metal band. I don't. I just threw that out there for those who do. After that, Metallica, when I recorded a staticy Welcome Home (Sanitarium) from the local college radio on cassette on my family's only CD player. This was '94 or '95. I was really into Metallica from then until about 14. While they were releasing Load, ReLoad and Garage, Inc., I was sticking with the first four or five albums, my favorite still being Master of Puppets, although I did buy Load first.
After that, I discovered Pantera when I ripped off Official Live 101 from a Columbia House disc order. They were so ****in' fast. When I first listened to the live versions of Sandblasted Skin and Suicide Not pt. 2, it was the fastest music I had ever heard, so naturally, I listened to it as loud as possible on my DiscMan everyday at school. That was 13.
And then I discovered Slayer through some friends. They pretty much replaced Metallica as my "second favorite" band after Pantera took the helm.
Since then, a lot of good bands have kept me into metal: namely Opeth, Nile, Between the Buried and Me, Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, and a rash of hardcore bands like Burnt by the Sun, Car Bomb, Psyopus, Dillinger Escape Plan, and The Black Dahlia Murder.
ElephantSack is offline   Reply With Quote