Music Banter - View Single Post - Deerhunter
Thread: Deerhunter
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 10:47 PM   #37 (permalink)
Brad Stengel
This Space for Rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Loots View Post
I suppose I was merely responding to the negative response to this band, and there is a lot of it out there, which I can't fathom since I can't hear anything wrong with it. While I can understand that it isn't for everyone, it seems that even indie fans are calling this band overhyped, awful, dreadful, etc., when I can't see how one's response to this band could possibly be vitriolic and negative. Perhaps indifferent, since no form of music can possibly please everyone, but not absolutely vitriolic. Is this response a result of the lead singer's persona? Even if they've been almost universally lauded by critics, this doesn't mean that they've achieved any kind of real prominence out there: I'm sure that most people on the street will not have heard of them. (Or is it the case that critics heap praise upon a particularly obscure, inaccessible band in order to be trend setters while absenting themselves from the realm of music that real people enjoy? In which case I maintain that even though Deerhunter has not achieved mainstream prominence, the music on Microcastle is, to my ears, "accessible".)

Exactly why it's so frustrating when people call underground bands 'overhyped'- as much as every blog on the web might be talking about a certain band, chances are only like 3% of the population has even heard of them.

Oh and by the way, anyone hear the new tracks from Deerhunter's new EP, "Rainwater Cassette Exchange"? The title track is excellent, and the demos I've heard of 'Dissapearing Ink' and 'Game of Diamonds' are excellent as well, although I haven't heard the versions that are to be released.