Music Banter - View Single Post - An album a year for each year you are alive
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 07:01 AM   #62 (permalink)
Mirrorball95
From Hank To Hendrix

1989- The Stone Roses- The Stone Roses (One of the first bands I ever got into & The best debut of all time (IMO).
1990- Neil Young & Crazy Horse- Ragged Glory (My Fav Neil Young Album & The Best IMO)
1991-Soundgarden-Badmotorfinger (My Fav Soundgarden album- check out Johnny Cash's cover of Rusty Cage- excellent.)
1992- Black Sabbath- Dehumanizer (I am now officially the 'King Of Controversy' by posting this and will even go on to say that it truly is my favourite Sabbath album and ****s on anything Ozzy ever did (IMO), not that I dont like the original Sabbath stuff but Dio's voice really does it for me. The track 'Computer God' has the best drum intro to a Sabbath song and is nothing short of phenomenal.
1993- The Gun Club- Lucky Jim- (To me this is the Gun Club at their best, is a very rare record and was well worth the £15 or so I paid for it.)
1994- Paul Weller- Live Wood- (Now I know this is a live album but I had Stanley Road for years but never really got into that much. When I heard this album, this was the turning point for me.
This is from my favourite period & is a real gem as most of his live shows now are drowned with the hits from the Stanley Road album). I love the sheer energy and fire if you like which is present on this record, I have other live albums where the same level of fire and aggression is not present (IMO).
Also I love how he uses Magic Bus amongst others to encore some of his little know songs at the end, also the song 'This Is No Time' is absolutely fantastic and if you listen to the original recording on his later released 'Fly On The Wall- B Sides & Rarities' album you can see it is a totally different song. I wanted to save this for when I do a live albums list but this really is the pinnacle of Paul Weller's live music (IMO).

[B]1995- Cast- All Change [/B](Forget Oasis, to me this is the defining moment of the Britpop scene. Nothing short of sheer class from start to finish. Great riffs great lyrics, great tunes. First time I heard this record I was blown away, something just 'clicked' inside me if you like & I have love this band ever since.)
[B]1996- Alice In Chains - Unplugged [/B](I know another Live album but had to include as this is the album which made me appreciate Alice In Chains as I hadnt in the past (only owning the 'Dirt' album for several years). I love how they have reinvented basically every song on the album (even the originally acoustic ones from 'Jar Of Flies') and it is like listening to a different band compared to 'Facelift' or 'Dirt'. Also Staley (RIP) & Cantrell's vocals are matched perfectley and sometimes you cant tell who is singing what part.
(My favourite tracks off this album are 'Nutshell' & 'No Excuses'.)

1997- Buena Vista Social Club- Buena Vista Social Club (I think this is truly legendary for musicians to bring back what was popular in the 1920s/30s and send it back to the mainstream already achieves a place in this list & thats even before we get to the music!) The 'Chan Chan' song is the pinnacle of this album & anything with Ry Cooder playing on it always interests me.
1998-Liquid Tension Experiment- Liquid Tension Experiment (This is the most exciting, enduring, creative & thoughtful piece of Instrumental Rock music I have ever heard in my life. Came across it by chance after somebody gave me a lend of it. Very accomplished musicians & I believe this may be one of the most underrated albums of all time). Also I love how on the back of the cd it reads: "CAUTION: "Three Minute Warning" is not for the musically faint-hearted, impatient, or critics of extreme self-indulgence. If you fall into any of the above categories, please hit the stop button on your CD player after track # 8."
1999- Metallica- S&M- (This for me (I know some people hate it) is absolutely groudbreaking to hear Metallica's music mixed with a huge orchestra. Brings a lot more drama and excitement to a lot of the songs (as if there wasnt enough already). I really cant think of any specific words to describe this album, it really is just too brilliant. Listen and youll know what I mean)
2000- Roland Orzabal- Tomcats Screaming Outside- (This to me is one of the most underrated albums of all time & I think that is the reason why he never made another since. Every song from start to finish is excellent. Also there is a very experimental feel to the music, check out 'Hypnoculture' starts with some kind of Tribal chanting. To me this beats anything Tears For Fears did and I only want to introduce more and more people to it each day

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
Watch what happens when we change just a three little words (by my doorstep)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorball95Doppelganger
Yeah if I could get a big one, say from Neil Young or something, id stick it in. I'd just get sick.

Last edited by Mirrorball95; 04-26-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Mirrorball95 is offline   Reply With Quote