Music Banter - View Single Post - You have to listen to this
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 09:05 AM   #177 (permalink)
4ZZZ
Forever young

Alexander Tucker - Old Fog 2005

I rather like the freakishly oddly weird variety of folk generally and I enjoyed this album but do have some issues. The clicking on the first 2 tracks, Hag Stone and the title track, on the file that I have distracted me to the point of being annoying especially when played through headphones. That aside the instrumentation throughout the album is fantastic. The vocals are a pass. I am curious that I may in fact enjoy the music so much that I am finding the vocals a slight hindrance at times. I would go as far as to say that this is one of the most frustrating albums that I have heard in many a long year. How does one listen to an album at a certain time and wonder as to how good it is and then at another think that one has over rated it entirely. Then of course to frustrate matters even worse go through the entire thought process again. Could this be the ultimate mood album? As I write I am playing it again and Hag Stone has just finished and I have enjoyed it thoroughly. The beautiful instrumentation of the 2nd track is now annoyingly ruined by that bloody clicking sound. If this is meant to be in the mix it is avant garde failure in my opinion.

So lets try and get past the bitching by yours truly about perceived clicking. It is only on the first 2 tracks so I can say that in the end I am a sucker for drone and this album has a fair bit of that, I am a sucker for what sounds like de tuned guitars and this album has plenty of that, I am a sucker for gentle meandering odd ball lo fi experimental folk like Phantom Rings and can even be sucked into enjoying formless collages of layered sounds like Alhadeff Music. The final track is called Sung Into Your Brightening Skull. What a magnificent name for a song and in the end may just kinda sums it all up. My skull has seemed brighter for the experience in a frustrating kind of way.

So in the end I have been experiencing an album that at times has frustrated and impressed me all at the same time. Not a bad effort by Mr Tucker to do that really.