Music Banter - View Single Post - Dire Straits Appreciation Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #23 (permalink)
Mirrorball95
From Hank To Hendrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
Dire Straits are one of my favorite all time bands and i have been a huge fan for years, it is one of my greatest regrets that i have never seen them live. IMO they have not made a bad album...All Dire Straits albums are created equal authough some are more equal than others! unfortunatly i must agree that Brothers in Arms their weakest album, but its still a great album and made at the peak of their career and there is a unfortunate trend for people to dislike a bands most popular album, i think Boo Boo made this comment on the Chili Peppers thread...and i'm not pointing fingers at anyone here!
Making Movies is my favorite album with the classic Romeo & Juliet a song writing truimph! Tunnel of Love though being the stand out track and its also probably my favorite track of all time. The self titled debut is also supurb with the defining Sultans of Swing.
Any fans out there should check this out recorded in 1979 it shows their raw talent IMO its as good a live album as Alchemy, which does include Telegraph Road which i think is one of the greatest live tracks ever.
Alright man, cool I checked out that 'Live In Germany' album you mentioned I might get it, only thing is its about a tenner on amazon lol; but if its as good as your saying.

Also I find it interesting that Making Movies is your favourite album as along with 'Communique' its one of the two albums of Dire Straits which i havent got.
As for 'Tunnel Of Love' its one of my favourite Dire Straits tracks and the outro at the end is just beautiful.
So what do you think of the other albums?
My favourite is 'On Every Street'. Most of my favourite Dire Straits songs are on that album- 'Calling Elvis', 'On Every Street' -another beautiful track,
'You & Your Friend', 'When It Comes To You', 'Iron Hand',
'Ticket To Heaven' , 'Planet Of New Orleans', 'Fade To Black'.

I also love how on Mark Knopfler's folk side comes out on 'Iron Hand'.
Also there is a track on the album which kind of has a slight jazzy feel to it but cant remember which one. Anybody?
I love this album simply because of the array of different styles explored on the album.

As for Mark Knopfler's solo works, have your heard an album called 'Sailing To Philadelphia (2000)', its the third album Ive bought of his solo works and the first time I've been overly impressed (firstly bought 'Golden Heart' & 'Ragpicker's Dream' to little satisfaction).
Heres some beautiful lyrics from a track off 'On Every Street' (see if you can guess which one). The piano work on this song is really nice.

I can see what you're looking to find
In the smile on my face
In my peace of mind
In my state of grace
I send what I can
To the man from the ministry
He's a part of heaven's plan
And he talks to me

Now I send what I can to the man
With the diamond ring
He's a part of heaven's plan
And he sure can sing
Now it's all I can afford
But the lord has sent me eternity
It's to save the little children
In a poor country

I got my ticket to heaven
And everlasting life
I got a ride all the way to paradise
And everlasting life
All the way to paradise

Now there's nothing left for luxuries
Nothing left to pay my heating bill
But the good lord will provide
I know he will
So send what you can
To the man with the diamond ring
They're tuning in across the land
To hear him sing

And everlasting life
I got a ride all the way to paradise
And everlasting life
All the way to paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
Watch what happens when we change just a three little words (by my doorstep)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorball95Doppelganger
Yeah if I could get a big one, say from Neil Young or something, id stick it in. I'd just get sick.

Last edited by Mirrorball95; 05-06-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Mirrorball95 is offline   Reply With Quote