Music Banter - View Single Post - The White Stripes
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 07:45 AM   #506 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash_override View Post
Sorry for the delayed response. I'm not sure what more you would care to have me explain. I suppose you would like to know my reasoning for choosing WBC... personally I think the sound on that album was the one that they really found their groove, you know what I mean... most bands have one or two albums in their discography that exemplify what they should be doing as a band. It's minimalist, it's different, features good songs, and features some of the most musically sound instrumentals that I believe the band is capable of. I mean to me this album is where this band should be, it's almost dissapointing to see that they went a different direction on their later albums. I think they really had their nitch with this album and it sticks out to me. Not that their other albums are bad, just not up to par with this one IMO.

Sorry again I took so long to reply. Damn security conference has had me out of the office.

You know I agree with some of that, I liked the WBC's stripes better than say, the Icky Thump version, but thats not to say Icky Thump is bad.

What I'd say is this; Jack White is no dope. He actually looked up with the De Stijl movement was and realized that to consistently make your self overly simplitic is to render that feild fallow, to invite a terrible metaphor.

We should also probably examine how we're looking back. This is a post-Icky Thump review. Had we been voting here directly after say, GBMS, which was far more raw and experimental, we may have a different view.

Stripes albums to me have always been a little bi-polar. I have trouble viewing them as whole albums because I feel as if they're halves, and that when looking at an album, I'm only recalling half the tracks and judging from there. Icky Thump to me will always be Conquest, You don't know what love is, and the double bagpipe songs. When I'm thinking about it, theres a ton of other things on there that don't sound a damn thing like those songs...

Little Cream Soda, Bone Broke, Rag & Bone, Effect & Cause.

And thats with all their albums, so its hell for me to try and actually figure out where I genuinely feel they are.