Music Banter - View Single Post - Antonio's album reviews
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #49 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio View Post
you really didn't think i was going to ignore this one right

the review (like all others) is great, but... you kind of missed the point of perry's spoken word bit about 'sex, drugs, and rock & roll' at the start of 'ain't no right'. he's not commenting about those so much as the censorship that was so prevalent in the late 80s. you have to listen to close to hear him say 'i don't ask what position you f*ck your wife in, so take that piss cup outta my face' as his monologue fades into the intro of the song.

i find it funny that you hear a big sense of freedom on the record as well since the band was on the verge of collapse for most of the recording process. the ONLY track from the album that the band recorded together was 'three days' and they pretty much just all walked in, played it, then walked out again. you're right that it was about perry's friend... but... she was a little more than just a friend. the cover of the album is a paper mache representation of perry, his significant other casey niccoli, and xiola. i'll leave it up to your imagination as to what happened over the 3 days when xiola visited them from the east coast.

as for 'classic girl', i never got the sensation of the morning after a party, the sense of calm and peace is always there, but the song always reminds me of the last real classic girl i knew (and let slip away).

alright enough emo crap haha. i'm with you that i prefer NS over ritual. there are some songs i like better on ritual (then she did, classic girl, three days) but overall NS is a stronger album to my ears. i never did bother getting my hands on 'strays' the lead off single didn't do squat for me. 'kettle whistle' is a worthy compilation though, the live version of 'three days' smokes the crap out of the album take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote