Music Banter - View Single Post - Comus says: Be a Gentle Giant for Seven Days!
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 12:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
Comus
I'm sorry, is this Can?

This is an album that will grab you by the throat and force itself deep into your subconscious. Every single track here will undoubtedly get stuck in your head at some point in time. Usually it starts with Raconteur Troubadour, but then it’ll become The Advent of Panurge. From there it will just get worse and worse. If you make the glorious mistake of listening to this album, there’s no way that it’s going to let you escape its clutches.

The album start swith Advent of Panurge, and immediately we’re re-introduced to the classic Gentle Giant sound that was slightly absent on Three Friends. We’re also joined by yet a new drummer, one John “Pugwash” Weathers who will stay with them throughout the rest of their classic period. The Advent of Panurge really does give a very accurate reflection of what to expect. The playing is tight, upbeat and sporting great production, you’ll love all the melodies and little quirks that make this so re-listenable.

Raconteur Troubadour is the most instant of all the songs, the vocals will immediately stick on first listen and I can almost guarantee that you’ll be singing along the second time around. All the little melodies work so well together, and it’s impossible to pick up on everything in one listen, this literally forces you to listen to it again and again. Of course there’s also all the unexpected twists and turns that just make this band absolutely delightful as well.

While every song here represents Gentle Giant incredibly well, you’ll be surprised at the actual range of songs that this band can pull off. You’ll never feel that all the songs sound the same, or have the same structure, the album just changes time and time again. Knots is an incredibly powerful halfway point for the album, and along with The Boys in the Band provides a brilliant middle point to keep you interested for the final few songs.

The Boys in the Band is probably the tightest song on the album, and makes for a great instrumental interlude with some very interesting melodies. Which brings us to my favourite song on the album; Dog’s Life. This little ditty has some of the loveliest quirky lyrics of any album, and it just encapsulates what Gentle Giant are all about. It’s very whimsical, funny and tongue in cheek. An argument can be made that the latter half of Octopus is even stronger than the first, with Think of Me With Kindness and River finishing off the listening experience.

The second last track is a beautiful, sombre and intense experience. It would have probably worked better than River as the final track, it is truly beautiful. You’ll notice some brilliant keyboard work as well here that just makes it all the more brilliant .The album ends on a high with the irresistible River. River has probably some of the catchiest melodies and most interesting production on the album. That and one of the more badass guitar solos you’ll find, accompanied by vocals copying some of the notes Vas Dis style.

Overall this is a masterpiece, there is no doubt about it, and I have been debating with myself whether or not it deserves the big 10. I’m really not sure what to do about it, but I’m very much leaning in favour of it getting maximum marks. Before I started doing these reviews I would have undoubtedly given it maximum points, but I’m not sure if it’s worth setting a maximum points around with three albums to go.

fuck it

10/10
Originally Posted by antonio
classical music isn't exactly religious, you know?
um
last.fm
Comus is offline   Reply With Quote